Wednesday 23 August 2017

If only they listened.

If any group of workers is likely to have contact with disabled people regularly its probably healthcare workers so why do so many of them lack basic disability and mental health  awareness?

Today I had a routine over 50s mammogram. Its unpleasant anyway but but my experience had added extras, my carer being refused entry to the room when I needed assistance, them trying to dismantle my chair, when I said no, and when I said hospitals sometimes trigger my PTSD telling me not to be scared. My carer was allowed in after they realised my chair wouldn't come apart, to assist me to transfer, only for us to be told how we should do it, we just carried on regardless. She also supported me when they ignored the fact my sitting balance isn't that good when I told them this.

A few days ago an OT thought it was a good idea if someone accompanied me to a wheelchair assessment to help me choose a chair. This was after she agreed what my needs were and said I obviously knew what I needed.

A few months ago a nurse at a different surgery in the group I go to asked to speak to my carers after I said that going to the surgery increased my anxiety. I said I was alone, she said no you can't be, people like you have to be made to come.

I've had some fantastic care some staff always go tbe extra mile when needed but the less good staff detract from the good experiences. Disabled people or anyone with additional needs are people and deserve the best quaulity of care as does  anyone else. I only ask that they listen and work with us, we are the experts on our own situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment