Saturday 19 August 2017

NHS Mental health services local survey results

My local paper  asked people for their experiences of local mental health services. I largely agree with their survey findings, which I didn't take part in.  Below I've copied  my comments on the article on their facebook page:-

I have to pay for therapy, after using all my NHS allowance, the therapy didn't help me that much, I ended up in hospital after taking an overdose, I had told my therapist I was struggling, got told to make more effort. It wasn't the CPFT, but another provider. I had waited a year for treatment when I saw a nurse for a physical reason and freaked out. That speeded it up if you can call it that. Before being on the waiting list I spent months whilst they decided whether I needed CPFT or the other provider. I got referred to CPFT 7 times including during treatment, because the theapist I saw thought my needs were too severe for her service whilst CPFT said I wasn't unwell enough to need them. Falling between the two made my situation worse. I didn't get the right care. I saw a CPN once ahe said there wasn't much wrong with me because I smiled at her. She also asked if I was anxious, as I have complex PTSD caused largely by my 'treatment' by other professionals not linked to the NHS that was a fairly safe guess! She then decided I needed only 12 sessions with the  other service and I would be much better. More than  30 NHS sessions and 4 years with low cost private therapy and I almost at the end of regular sessions.  What happened to me went on for a long time, so was never going to end quickly. I would never willingly start treatment with the NHS again. My therapist now is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment