Tuesday 10 October 2017

Mental health and physical health both matter every day

Its World Mental Health Day, a day to raise awareness. It works but its not enough, those who don't have mental health needs need to be aware of mental health every day. It also needs to be viewed in exactly the way as physical health, there is no difference.

I have complex PTSD, alongside a physical disability. Nobody suggests  that me saying I can't take my wheelchair down steps is not a real need they accept that. I find attending medical appointments difficult because of my PTSD, to do so I need reasonable adjustments like seeing the same people or seeing them at certain places. Under the law I can ask for that in the same way as asking  for wheelchair access. Too often though its not seen in the same way. I am told more often than not I am simply making a choice, I could do it if I wanted to.

In the street I have been called crip, spaz, mental, loony, the first two relate to my physical disability, the others to my mental health. People have defended me and reacted against the former, the latter is seen as more acceptable.

In fact treating anyone with additional needs, no matter what they are, as if its just choice is not acceptable, nor is using discriminatory language. Anyone with a disability or health condition has the same rights under the Equality Act, no mstter what the nature or cause of their condition.

My wish is that starting today and continuing every day people treat those with physical and mental health needs with the same respect, and acceptance that they have exactly the same rights That will be real progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment