Sunday 10 September 2017

For World Suicide Prevention Day I tell my story.

I'm no real fan of Awareness Days because people with illnesses and life issues are aware of them every day, and so must we be if we really want to make a difference. That said today is World Suicide Prevention Day, the theme is take a minute, change q life, save a life, and because of that I'm telling my story because I know it can make a difference.

I have Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, CPTSD, and a few years ago I was so unwell that I struggled through the most simple tasks. I asked the professionals around me  for extra help, only to be told that I needed to make more effort, I said I was scared I would hurt myself.  Things came to a head when I was told by a professional that people like me annoyed him because we didn't help ourselves. I then asked for immediate help as I felt at risk only to be told to go away. I took an overdose, I didn't  want to die, I needed help.

From what was my lowest point my life changed. The paramedics who helped me made a point of asking how I was whenever they came back into A&E that day. The family member who sat with me, and got loads of grief, but just took it, and the nurse who smiled at me, all made a difference. Back home I'll never forget the helpline worker who just listened and told me about different support I could have, I tried everything I was offered, and it made a difference, I got the help I needed and the people helping me listened and worked my way. It wasn't all mental health support. Sometimes it was as simple as having a cup of coffee with someone.

I thank everyone of those people they helped me save me. I know that if I had been listened to and supported when I first struggled, it probably wouldn't have happened. What happened to me is the reason I ask you to take a minute, and change a life, save a life not just today but every day. Many of those who helped me weren't mental health professionals, they just cared.

No comments:

Post a Comment